Customer: Strem Chemical, Newburyport MA
Customer info and needs:
Strem Chemical is a global supplier of high purity chemicals. They have two production facilities and a warehouse in Newburyport, MA. Strem needed to expand and upgrade a process line. To change the line Strem needed to shut the area down. Shutting down the production line allowed for a two week window to also upgrade the existing flooring. The floor had been coated several times with a floor paint over the years. Strem decided it was time to have a permanent flooring system installed. Strem needed the new flooring system to be chemical resistant, slip resistant, durable and seamless. Strem also needed the building to act like be a secondary containment area. This would require us to build cove bases ranging from 6 to 24- inches. The containment would also require approx. 400lf of containment curbs. The total area in this phase would be 11,400sf.
We specified a Tenant Company, chemical resistant, epoxy /urethane flooring system. The system included 6 and 24-inch epoxy mortar cove bases. We specified the same mortar for the curbing. The concrete would be prepared using diamond grinders.
Our scope of work:
- Grind concrete to remove existing coatings and to create the proper surface profile.
- Prep and patch all major holes and cracks with an epoxy repair mortar.
- Trowel apply epoxy mortar coves.
- Trowel apply epoxy mortar containment curbs and ramps.
- Apply a 100% solids, epoxy primer at a DFT of 12 mils.
- Apply a 100% solids, epoxy mid coat at a DFT of 30 mils.
- Apply a chemical resistant urethane topcoat at a DFT of 4 mils.
- Apply yellow, epoxy traffic markings.
We were able to complete this flooring system within the time frame allotted. The customer very very satisfied. We have completed 6 other projects for Strem since completing this one. The installation team that installed this floor was from our Southwick Ma office.